- This event has passed.
Observing Alaska Lake and River Freeze-up through Fresh Eyes on Ice
November 10 @ 10:00 am to 11:00 am AKST
The timing of freeze-up and winter conditions have changed throughout Alaska, and this has consequences for our ecosystems and our way of life in the winter season. Changing ice conditions and their influence on our winter travel and recreation safety has motivated the UAF Fresh Eyes on Ice project, a new freshwater ice observation network across Alaska. This seminar will provide an overview of freeze-up science and how you can be involved in helping share freeze-up and other ice condition observations this winter.
Links shared during presentation
- Arctic and Earth Signs Website
- Fresh Eyes on Ice Facebook page
- Historical Trends in Lake and River Ice Cover in the Northern Hemisphere paper
- Alaska-Pacific River Forecast Center page
- Changing River Ice Seasonality and Impacts on Interior Alaskan Communities paper
- Alaska Climate Research Center
- LEO Network