Looking for a particular event? Use the magnifying glass at the top of this page to search.
- This event has passed.
Understanding the Arctic Through A Co-Production of Knowledge
April 11, 2018 @ 12:00 pm to 1:00 pm AKDT
Speakers: Carolina Behe, Inuit Circumpolar Council Alaska; Julie Raymond-Yakoubian, Kawerak, Inc.; Raychelle Daniel, The Pew Charitable Trust
The Arctic is changing at an accelerated rate due to climate change and increased anthropogenic activity. Given the rate of change, never has it been more important to work toward a holistic understanding of the Arctic’s interconnecting systems.
A co-production of knowledge framework will provide the holistic view and comprehension needed to inform effective and adaptive policies and practices.
We underscore the role and value of different knowledge systems with different methodologies and the need for collaborative approaches in identifying research questions. We will present the most important components that form a co-production of knowledge framework.
Co-production of Knowledge examples from the Inuit Circumpolar Council Alaska and Kawerak, Inc.
Inuit food security
- Alaskan Inuit Food Security Conceptual Framework: How to Assess the Arctic From An Inuit Perspective, 2016. Food Security Report Brochure, Food Security Summary and Recommendations Report, Full Technical Report
- Food Sovereignty and Self-Governance – Inuit Role in Managing Arctic Marine Resources
- Southwest Regional Education Decolonization Think Tank Report – April 2017
- Alaskan Inuit Education Alignment Summit Report – November 2016
- North Slope Regional Education Decolonization Think Tank Report – October 2016
- Northwest Arctic Regional Education Decolonization Think Tank Report – June 2016
- Bering Strait Regional Education Decolonization Think Tank Report – April 2016
- Coastal Monitoring Indigenous Knowledge Holders Meeting Report – February 2017, Ottawa, Canada.
- Coastal Monitoring Indigenous Knowledge Holders Meeting Report. Ottawa, Canada, February 29, 2016. Facilitated by the Inuit Circumpolar Council (ICC) with funding provided by Polar Knowledge Canada.
Kawerak’s Marine Program
- Bering Strait Voices: Vision for Action Summit Report
- Bering Strait Voices on Arctic Shipping Report 2016
- Bering Strait Voices on Arctic Shipping Final Report 2014
Kawerak’s Social Science Program
- Research Processes and Indigenous Communities in Western Alaska: Workshop Report
- Chapter: Cosmological Changes: Shifts in Human–Fish Relationships in Alaska’s Bering Strait Region
- Article: The Incorporation of Traditional Knowledge into Alaska federal fisheries management
- “Always taught not to waste”: Traditional Knowledge and Norton Sound/Bering Strait Salmon Populations
- Article: A Bering Strait Indigenous Framework for Resource Management: Respectful Seal and Walrus Hunting
- Kawerak Knowledge and Subsistence-Related Terms
- Chapter: Conceptual and Institutional Frameworks for Protected Areas, and the Status of Indigenous Involvement
- Article: Building an Indigenous Evidence-base for Tribally-led Habitat Conservation Policies
- Article: Qualitative Participatory Mapping of Seal and Walrus Harvest and Habitat Areas
- Article: Developing Theoretical Marine Habitat Suitability Models from Remotely-Sensed Data and Traditional Ecological Knowledge
- “The World Has Changed”: Iŋalit Traditional Knowledge of Walrus in the Bering Sea
- Indigenous Knowledge and Use of Bering Strait Ocean Currents Report
- Indigenous Knowledge and Use of Bering Strait Ocean Currents Book
- Indigenous Knowledge and Use of Ocean Currents (poster in English and Russian)
- “We depend on the sea”: The Importance of Walrus to Little Diomede (poster)
- Seal and Walrus Harvest and Habitat Areas for Nine Bering Strait Region Communities
- Bering Strait Marine Life and Subsistence Data Synthesis
- Little Diomede Iñupiaq Glossary and Walrus Preparation Guide
- Policy-Based Recommendations from Kawerak’s Ice Seal and Walrus Project
- Article: Participation and Resistance – Tribal Involvement in Bering Sea Fisheries Management and Policy
- Food for the Soul: Bering Strait Region Non-Salmon Fish Preparation and Recipes
- Article: Linkages between human health and ocean health
- Seal and Walrus Hunting Safety Book
- Traditions of Respect Book
- When the fish come, we go fishing: Local Ecological Knowledge of Non-Salmon Fish Report
- Climate-Ocean Effects on Chinook Salmon: Local Traditional Knowledge Component