- This event has passed.
VAWS: Insights and Resources to Guide Climate Change Communication
November 14 @ 12:00 pm to 1:00 pm AKST
Speaker: Kristin Timm, George Mason University
There is a growing body of social science related to communicating climate change and related weather hazards. This research offers several insights on how different audiences perceive and understand climate change and what communication approaches to adopt with each, whether you are trying to raise awareness, discuss risks, or encourage people to adopt a new behavior.
This talk will provide a summary of important ideas from the field of climate change communication, with a focus on practical recommendations for weather and climate professionals.
Links shared during webinar
- Global Warming’s Six Americas
- Science Communicators Must Consider Short-Term Objectives While Keeping Their Eyes on the Prize
- Thinking About Your Communication Goals & Objectives
- Yale Climate Opinion Maps
- Skeptical Science
- 10 ways to have better conversations Ted Talk
- Climate Central Media Library
- Overwhelmed by climate change? Here’s what you can do
- Act on Climate Change
- Browse free resources or apply for membership in Climate Access or the Climate Advocacy Lab
For training in science and climate change communication
- Yale’s Communicating Climate Change and Health Online Class
- Alan Alda Center
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- AGU Sharing Science Program
- Contact Kristin via email or on Twitter @kmftimm